Acrobat 8/8.1 Dropping Text in PDF

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Thu Jun 21 18:56:00 PDT 2007

Jacob,

Good to hear from you.

(1) No, I wasn't referring to "leading" but rather the
exact positioning and amount of space between text characters
on a line of text. Obviously 72dpi is going to look very
poor. I normally recommend a setting of 600dpi for all
layout work (and then always creating PDF with the Adobe PDF
PostScript printer driver instance set to 600dpi) to assure
no reflow problems - a big problem with Microsoft Office and
probably much less of a problem with FrameMaker (Shlomo says
he has seen this; I haven't so far). I do not advise going
below the 300dpi setting. For most FrameMaker type documents,
any fine spacing quality loss at 300dpi compared to 600dpi
or 1200dpi would normally be quite acceptable.

(2) So far we haven't seen the NUMBER of fonts as the key
variable as to what causes corruption or too large a
font cache file. As I have indicated in early communications,
my systems routinely run with about 1400 to 1600 active
typefaces, all concurrently installed.

One area that I would have others look at is the size of
the virtual memory file. Disable automatic paging files
and enable a constant paging file size of at least twice
the amount of real memory in the system which in reality
means a four to six gigabyte paging file. I am only
speculating about this, but you never know.

(3) With regards to the GDI calls, FrameMaker's code still
uses very old (Windows 3.x) GDI calls that are very resolution
dependent and that can yield multiplication results that
overflow 16 bits if you are talking about higher resolutions
and larger page sizes. As I indicated there is a known problem
due to these overflows that cause text drop out on systems
that don't suffer from the problem fixed by the font cache
deletion hack. (For example, this problem is consistent on
all systems for page size "tabloid" for 2400 dpi for the
same document!) The other problem occurs when this overflow
should not be a problem. The problem is that the GDI calls
used by FrameMaker are not really being maintained by Microsoft;
it's likely that there are bugs that have infested that area
of the code that are somehow tickled by FrameMaker and its
interesting remapping of character sets. But we really don't
know what is causing the problems.

(4) Because we can't debug problems we can't reproduce,
this whole issue is exceptionally frustrating not only to
the limited number of customers who repeatedly experience
it on particular computer systems, but also to the FrameMaker
support and development organization.

	- Dov