Link on Index References in PDF

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Wed Jun 27 05:19:30 PDT 2007

This is my first time creating an index in FrameMaker in over 10 years, so
I'm a bit out of touch. The last time I had to do this, we just printed
the manual; we didn't publish it as a PDF.

Now I've discovered that when I have a "see" or "see also" reference in my
index, the PDF version of the index creates a link from those words to the
place where I put that index marker. For example, if my index entry has:

absolute data file
        see .o file and .cfo file

then when someone clicks on "see", they jump to the place in text where I
created the index marker. The index marker contains:

absolute data file:<Emphasis>see <Default Para Font>.o file <Emphasis>and
<Default Para Font>.cfo file<$nopage>

Ideally, this is what I'd like it to do in the PDF:
link on the words ".o file" and ".cfo file" instead of on "see".
jump to the index entries for ".o file" and ".cfo file"

If we can't do that, I would settle for not having a link at all.

This case is somewhat palatable because if you click on "see", at least it
takes you to somewhere that talks about .o files and .cfo files. However,
I have another reference entry for "manipulating" which points readers to
"changing", and since this is just a synonym and doesn't have a specifi
context, it's rather confusing when it jumps to "Breakpoint Manipulation".

I'm using FrameMaker 7.2, the structured flavour (but I don't think that
makes any difference in this case), on Windows XP.

Fei Min
Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator
AMI Semiconductor Canada Company
Tel: +1.519.884.9696 ext.2297
Fax: +1.519.884.0228
Cell phone: +1.519.831.4931
Email address: feimin_lorente at amis.com
Internet: http://www.amis.com
AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.