Frame's future @ Mac/UNIX

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 09:27:30 PST 2007

At 17:12 +0000 1/3/07, Paul Findon wrote:

>Who's side are you on, Steve ;-)

Garn, Paul... you shouldn't need to ask me that. I borrowed the campaign T-shirt, after all ;-) And suffered for The Cause: after barracking the Adobe lot at IPEX I got comprehensively sneezed on by a Japanese visitor and was ill for weeks afterwards.

>In the early '90s, I made many a manual with Adobe FrameMaker 3.0 for NeXTSTEP.
>
>Hang on. Aren't NeXTSTEP and Mac OS X both built on BSD?
>
>Hang on. Aren't NeXTSTEP and Mac OS X both built on the Mach kernel?
>
>Hang on. Aren't NeXTSTEP and Mac OS X both object-orientated environments?
>
>Hang on. Don't NeXTSTEP and Mac OS X both support Objective-C?
>
>Hang on. NeXTSTEP used Display PostScript, Mac OS X uses PDF. Isn't PDF based on PostScript?
>
>Hang on. Don't NeXTSTEP and Mac OS X both support Type 1 fonts?
>
>Hang on. Weren't NeXTSTEP app developers some of the first to port their apps to Mac OS X?

All this is true. However, it's the Apple layers above Darwin that would likely cause most of the adaptation effort.

--
Steve