Frame's future @ Mac/UNIX

Sam Beard sbeard at oico.com
Fri Mar 2 07:37:53 PST 2007

Scott,

   This isn't exactly true. Microsoft CHOSE not to export IE for Mac OS
X. This was done partly because Apple has their own browser, Safari, and
partly because of the rise in popularity of Firefox, Opera, Camino, and
others. The last version of IE for Mac was running quite well on Mac OS
X, but it was also the equivalent of at least one version behind Windows
IE, IIRC. Safari is generally well-regarded, as are the others listed
above. And, with MS pushing IE's "integration" into the Windows OS,
there wasn't really a desire on their part to continue work on something
without much tangible return. IE for Windows gets stuck into the Windows
OS in such a way that it's VERY difficult to fully disentangle it from
the OS and to fully use another browser instead. I've heard of many
times where someone THINKS they've disabled IE as a default browser, but
then something happens that launches IE instead of something else. As
always, YMMV greatly from this.

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer
OI Analytical