How to create 'Word style' bookmarks

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 2 10:35:15 PST 2007

1. It sounds like you just need to create a user variable for each term and
insert the variables at the appropriate spots in your document.

2. Then, make several other template documents (one for each language) that
have the same user variables, but define them with the translated
definitions.

3. To replace the content in the main document, simply be sure the
translation template is also open, then, in the main document, choose File>
Import Formats. Select the import template and import the user variables
from the template. It will replace the content in a flash.

You don't need Framescript or the FDK for something so simple in FrameMaker.

Another method would be to put all the translations in your document, and
conditionalize them by language. For example, add text that says "Hello Hola
Bonjour." Give each word the appropriate condition for English, Spanish, and
French. Then, hiding the inappropriate conditions-- hiding Spanish and
French conditions for the English version, for example-- would display only
"Hello."

Mike Wickham