(1) Numbering issues with anchored frames (2) Changing numbering in a book

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 02:26:41 PST 2007

Donna... forgive me for ignoring the rest of your post: I've not had my morning intravenous caffeine injection yet.

>-> How bad is it to have 2 chapters in one file? I don't mind to split the file. I'm asking purely out of curiosity, and I already brace myself for the outcry this question might provoke.

Much badness. FrameMaker's 'simple' book numbering approach - as opposed to the more complex methods used prior to Version 5.5 - is based on the $chapnum variable, and this mandates one chapter per file. Do yourself a favor - split the chapters.

The only case I can think of where you would not want to use numbering based on $chapnum and restarting para numbering for each chapter is if you explicitly needed to carry one or more numbering threads right through a book, or needed to have a numbering thread that was reset asynchronously with chapters.

Your point (1) was dealt with here recently: check the archives.

(2) Suggest you use $volnum for part numbering.

>Last but not least, all these Lists of Š are taking up too much space.  The closest that I could move them together is to start each file on the next available page. Is it possible to have all the List of Figures, Tables, and Paragraphs in one file but as three separate lists?

You can set up FrameMaker to start on the next available page. Afaik the only way to have them all in the same file is to manually combine them after final book generation - and that will snarf your page numbering unless you are careful.

On a general point, there are some extremely good white papers about FrameMaker numbering available from the Mother Ship, www.frameusers.com.

--
Steve