Numbering

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 05:18:26 PST 2007

First, whatever font you're using in your Subject isn't translating well....

On 3/5/07, Dona Mommsen <dona.mommsen at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
<snip>

> (1) This book has a numbering issue with anchored frames.
> The numbering setting  is to continue the numbering from the previous
> paragraph in the book, and it is consistent in the book and in each
> document. However, this does not work when the first occurrence of the
> paragraph happens to be in an anchored frame. In that case Frame
> stubbornly restarts numbering for that paragraph / tag, and it happens
> for paragraphs containing any numbering tag. As soon as I enter the
> same paragraph format in the flow (somewhere before the anchored frame)
> the numbering continues correctly. Any ideas or workarounds?

Anchored frames are outside the main flow. The easiest solution is to
number outside them.

> (2) In addition, I'd like to make a number of numbering changes. Maybe
> these changes should be done first, because it includes restarting the
> numbering in each chapter, which could make the issue detailed above
> obsolete. However, I'm not sure if there is any order in which I should
> tackle these changes. I'm particularly uncertain if I'm missing
> something about numbering definitions of the book vs. numbering in the
> paragraph format that could get me in trouble.
>
> —> Introducing Parts should be the easy part:
> Part I: Chapters 1 to 3
> Part II: Chapters 4 to 6
> Part III: Chapters 7 to 8
> I was planning to create a new paragraph tag and to include that in the
> TOC.

Yes. I'd use the <$volnum> variable and control it in the book file.

> —> Change the numbering of Figures and Tables to Chapter—Figure  or
> Chapter—Table, respectively, e.g. Figure1—1. Thus the numbering
> restarts in each chapter.
> I've done the combined numbering in the Appendix, with a structure of
> empty brackets in the auto-numbering format,
> e.g. A:<A>.<n+>< >< >< >\t
> Should I do the same for the main chapters 1 through 8, or is there
> something that I'm missing about the chapter numbering definition of
> the book?

Make sure to use a different numbering track, not A: and you should be fine.
You could also set this up at the book level, really the preferred
method, using the <$chapnum> or <$volnum> variables instead of your
active counter.

> Please note that I have multiple paragraph tags for Figures and Tables,
> so there are 2 numbering tags but 5 paragraph tags in total: Figure,
> FigureWithSource, TableTitle, TableTitleWithSource, and another
> paragraph tag for the Figures  that are split into panels. The 'with
> source' paragraphs have a different spacing, ruler and 'next paragraph'
> property, because they are followed by a paragraph indicating the
> source. However, they are using the same numbering tag, so there are
> only 2 numbering  tags, one for Figures and one for Tables. Also, the
> paragraph tag for split Figures with panels numbered 1a), 1b) uses the
> same numbering tag. However, these  panels are not included in the List
> of Figures. The caption for the whole figure that gets into the LOF is
> either a paragraph Figure or  FigureWithSource.
> Again, the goal it to change the numbering to Chapter—Figure  or
> Chapter—Table,  respectively. I guess that I can handle that with the
> correct structure in the  empty-brackets-approach, where Figure and
> FigureWithSource have to use the same item in the list. To get the
> 'Figures with panels',  I'll probably need another item in the
> structure. Again, the question is whether there is a better way of
> doing this, using the chapter numbering definition in the book? Is it
> possible to use a variable definition like <$chapnum> in the
> auto-numbering of a paragraph tag?

Sure, use <$chapnum> for this -- that's what it's designed for. But it
would only replace the set of brackets you're using for chapter
numbering.

> —> I'm also grateful for any tips how to make these changes across the
> book without FrameScript.

Setting the numbering at the book level and using the <$chapnum> and
<$volnum> variables would be the easiest way to do it. If you have to
redo tags, you'd just import the new formats into multiple files at
once, again at the book level.

> —> How bad is it to have 2 chapters in one file? I don't mind to split
> the file. I'm asking purely out of curiosity, and I already brace
> myself for the outcry this question might provoke.

It's fairly standard procedure. That's why the numbering properties in
the book file allow you to set the numbering for multiple files to the
same chapter number... It's also one additional reason to use the
<$chapnum> variable.  The file=chapter thing is just human tidiness --
the computer doesn't care.

> Last but not least, all these Lists of … are taking up too much space.
> The closest that I could move them together is to start each file on
> the next available page. Is it possible to have all the List of
> Figures, Tables, and Paragraphs in one file but as three separate
> lists?

You''d have to set it up with text insets. More both than it'd be worth.
My first question would be if you're sure you need all these lists,
and what value they add for the reader. Combined with a TOC, it looks
as if they provide duplacation....

You could include more para types in your TOC, but that's bulk that up too.

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358