Modifying the <$filename> [short] variable...

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Mar 15 02:56:14 PDT 2007

Art,

You wrote:

>I'd like to get a variable that displays the file name but loses the
>extension....
>Anyone have a work-around or ideas? Anything in the FDK?

I don't know of a built-in way of doing this, but a limited workaround is
available in the context of FM->PDF or FM->PS workflows: you can place the
filename variable in a text frame, add a short PostScript code fragments
before and after it, and tag the text frame as PS code. The PS fragments
will remove the extension and control the formatting of the filename.

If this approach is applicable, I can set up a .fm file demonstrating the
workaround.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants