OT: Tech Writers & Wikis

Keith Arnett Keith.Arnett at webMethods.com
Mon Mar 19 07:30:38 PDT 2007

I have worked for two companies where wikis were used in a software
development environment. Based on that experience, I haven't been favorably
impressed. The tantalizing premise of "everyone can share their information
with everyone else" can be seriously compromised by lack of content
organization.

Unless someone takes on an organizational guidance/enforcement role, the
wiki becomes nothing more than a dumping ground for information that no one
can locate. Will White's "anarchipedia" label hits the nail on the head. I
cringe when I hear the words, "Oh, you can get that on the wiki" during a
team meeting.

In my experience, the wikis were set up by the software engineering team,
mostly as a "self-help" tool and without input from QA or Doc. The wiki
"organization' is more along the lines of "we'll make it up as we go along,"
making it extremely difficult to locate pertinent information.

However, with a bit of planning and shared input, the wiki format has lots
of potential. My own observation is that in today's rapid application
development environment, most development teams don't have the time or
inclination to do this.

Regards,

Keith Arnett
Senior Technical Writer