Translation question (risks and costs)

Grant Hogarth Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Mon Mar 19 08:19:58 PDT 2007

Hey Gillian --
I'd add an additional cost and risk factor into the mix
(sorry for piling on ... )

Unless you set things up correctly (with the right investment in tools
and services)
You will end up without any "translation memory", which means that you
will end up translating the same phrases and sequences as individual
items, rather than instances of a class, which has a significant risk of
"will this phrase get translated the same way in each of the 125
different locations", and a significant workload hit, in that it will
have to be translated (and QA'd) 125 times.

One way to mitigate this is to use a professional translation house to
do the translation, but have your trainers-to-be do the QA/Local usage
review.  You'll still need someone to referee/arbitrage the differences,
but you can then be fairly certain what is being presented to the end
user of the document is what you intend, and that the trainers are
familiar with what is in the document.  (An added plus: they don't go
off writing their own, or deprecating the existing document as useless
-- both of which I have seen happen in English, as well as in other
languages.)

Grant