Strange PDF Problem

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Mar 21 03:48:01 PDT 2007

Winfried,

You wrote:

>On your web-site you assume that those internal links which point
>to an explicit file name (even when it's in the same file) are
>only created via "Safe as PDF". Is this true?

There are many potential ways to introduce some functionality problems in
PDFs, and obviously I don't have access to the source files or to records
indicating how specific PDFs mentioned in the Hmmm... corner are produced.

Based on my experience analyzing FM->PDF files, this specific problem was
only present when the "Save as PDF" function was used, in a reproducible
manner.

Which is why I say that "it is very likely that in the case of this PDF...
this exotic linking method is yet another side-effect of FrameMaker's "Save
as PDF" function."

>Can I safely use the manual process FM -> PS -> PDF instead?

Yes, that's my recommendation (with Generate Acrobat Data turned on). And
for best results, the AdobePS driver (AdobePDF) should be used to create
the .ps file.

>By the way, is there a link checking mechanism integrated in
>Acrobat 8?

No. You'll have to use one of the third-party plug-ins to automate some of
the link checking tasks.

In fact, in Acrobat versions prior to 6.0, Distiller had some link checking
capabilities -- checking whether an internal named destination used by a
link or a bookmark in the current PDF is actually present.
If some destinations were missing, a warning was displayed by Distiller:
% [ Warning: The following Names in Name Tree Dests were not defined ] %
followed by a list of the missing named destinations.

This link-checking functionality is no longer present with Distiller 6.0
and higher.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants