Cross-reference nightmare - help needed

White, William WWhite at onelambda.com
Thu Mar 22 08:32:08 PDT 2007

Hi Sage

If you have tried all the obvious things, here's one more possibility.
I've encountered FM documents with cross-references that have become
corrupted because the the X-Refs contain legacy filenames for the target
documents. I presume this arises because an earlier user renamed the
target document using the Windows Explorer instead of from within
FrameMaker. (I don't know this for sure - it's just an assumption on my
part. Folks more knowledgable about the world of MIFs would know.) I've
been able to solve this partiocular problem by looking inside the MIF of
the document that is crashing the update and deleting the X-Ref(s) that
contain the legacy filenames. Although you are getting a message that 70
X-Refs are broken, there might be only one that is blocking the update.
At least, the last time this happened to me, that was the case.

Will White
One Lambda Inc

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. This e-mail and attachments,if any,  are the sole property of One Lambda, Inc. and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise prohibited by law from disclosure or re-disclosure. This information is intended solely for the individuals or entities to whom this e-mail or attachments are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are prohibited from using, copying, saving or disclosing this information to anyone else. Please destroy the message and any attachments immediately and notify the sender by return e-mail. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.