converting Frame to Word

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Wed Mar 28 11:16:23 PDT 2007

On Wednesday, March 28, 2007 01:31 PM, Yvonne Mills wrote:

| I was recently asked to convert our FrameMaker template into a MS
| Word template. Yes, I know this is backwards (and we all know the
| benefits of Frame over Word).  However, the reason for this is
| because another department wants to make similar-looking documents,
| but they don't have FrameMaker.

| By the way, if it helps:  FrameMaker 7.1 / Windows XP pro SP2 /
| Word 2003

Then they should buy FrameMaker!  Of course, new licenses will be at
the current release, ver 7.2, but the files are 100% compatible with
7.0/7.1 and a strong case should be made to give the other group the
right tools to get the desired output.  Productivity issues alone may
easily justify the expense

In general, I believe trying to mimic Frame in another program is
foolish, and especially so where the vast majority of authors do not
rigorously use the styles defined and do not resort to ad hoc format
overrides.  I know this is true in FM also, but to a lesser degree,
and may not be a big issue if the other department can enforce using
the defined styles and not resort to hackery to "make it look right."

I don't know if numbering and tables are significant concerns, but
Word's numbering system is notoriously horrible and prone to corrupt
sequences, and tables are not nearly as well behaved as in FM either.

However, if you must, then the Mif2Go route works very well.  You
may need to do a little touch-up to the styles created, but for the
most part it will be what is desired.

- Lester