Slightly OT" 'bursting' a book for online delivery

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 02:23:20 PDT 2007

I am ruminating over a problem that I'd like to throw before the gurus here. It is a FrameMaker issue only in that the source is in FrameMaker.

We want to modularize a book for online delivery, which will be in the form of PDFs of book chunks. In a full-book online PDF, cross-references would appear and work as hyperlinks, as would the TOC, index and bookmarks. This is not possible cross-chunk if a book is split into chunks, although per-chunk bookmarks will still work.

I am wondering if a workaround would be to encode a whole-book PDF with some sort of DRM software such that access is restricted to the portions for which keys have been purchased. This would allow hyperlinks to be kept intact. I do not know whether commercial software exists to implement such a solution.

Or is there some other way by which cross-references can still work?

--
Steve