Chapter Numbering Issue

Thu Mar 29 10:05:30 PDT 2007

Sam Beard wrote:

> For example, I have a book with several chapters in it. A
> couple of these chapters were corrupted in some manner and
> two of them showed this same numbering issue. I resolved it
> in one, but I'm not quite sure how, so I don't know how to
> resolve it in the other. Instead of the chapter and page
> numbering continuing as it should from chapter file to
> chapter file, the book shows only one page in the chapter,
> even though there ARE several more pages. For example,
> Chapter 8 is pages 309 to 316, Chapter
> 9 is 317 (with 42 pages actually in the file), and Chapter 10 is pages
> 318 to 337. A previous file did the same thing, but I don't
> remember what I did to resolve it. I tried a number of things
> and finally just stumbled upon the answer. But, nothing seems
> to be working this time.

I assume you've opened the chapter files in question and confirmed
they're OK and all the pages are there.

1) In the book window, select all the files after the first chapter
(i.e., chapters 2 through whatever, plus appendices, index, and anything
else that has continued page numbered).

2) Right-click the selection and click Numbering.

3) In the Numbering Properties dialog, click the Page tab.

4) On the Page tab, select Continue Numbering from Previous Page in
Book, and click Set.

5) In the book window, click the Update/Generate button and update the
book and all generated lists.

HTH!
Richard

------