Chapter Numbering in the Table of Contents

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Sat May 12 09:53:58 PDT 2007

Molly Keegan wrote:

>> I am having a problem getting my chapter numbering right in the table of
>> contents of one of my manuals.  Right now, it thinks Chapter 1 is
>> Chapter 9,
>> Chapter 2 is Chapter 10 and so on.  I have made sure that each chapter is
>> numbered correctly under Format>Document>Numbering, and the chapter
>> numbers
>> are correct in other places to which they are referred (page numbering
>> that
>> includes the chapnum, etc.)  I am at a loss for other places where this
>> information might be stored in the document.  Any suggestions are
>> welcome!

Hi, Molly:

In the Table of Contents specification on the TOC reference
page, use the <$paranum> or <$paranumonly> building block
instead of <$chapnum>, to retrieve either the whole
autonumbered chapter paragraph, or just its number, for TOC
entries.

<$chapnum> retrieves the chapter number of the file in which
it appears, so in the table of contents file, it retrieves the
table of contents file's chapter number.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices