Figure Numbering Problem

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue May 15 13:24:11 PDT 2007

Are any of the figures inside either another text frame, or a table?

Numbering usually works extremely well, provided all the paragraph tags
are in the same text flow. Either of these instances creates a different
text flow and/or evaluation order of the numbering building blocks
(counters) that may account for the weird behavior.

Another possibility is some other tag is affecting the second-level
counter in the F: numbering sequence, even if it does not display a
number.  For example, a heading tag could have numbering properties of
F:<n+>< =0> to show only a single digit but reset the second-level
counter invisibly, Or even F: < >< =0> to neither show a number but
reset the second level counter.

One thing - do the number that initially misbehave display as 1, as the
last used number, or something else?  That may give you  a pointer on
tracking down where the numbering is going awry.

- Lester