OT: RE: surreptitious mountains

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 08:56:32 PDT 2007

Reminds me of the job posting on the list a while back that said somthing
about working with your piers.

No question.  English is a strange language and it's no wonder why it is
hard for people from other countries to learn it.  A lot of it just doesn't
make sense.  Read on to see what I mean.

Exerpt from "This Crazy Language" by Kim Lo.

 English is the most widely used language in the history of our
planet.  One in every seven humans can speak it.  More than half the
world's books and three quarters of international mail is in English.
Of all the languages, it has the largest vocabulary - perhaps as many
as two MILLION words.  Nonetheless, let's face it - English is a crazy
language.

 We take English for granted.  But if we explore its paradoxes, we
find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a
guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

The rest is available on request.  Too long to post.

Diane