Confused about hexadecimal codes

Pat Bensky pbensky at catbase.com
Sat May 19 07:43:58 PDT 2007

I'm fiddling about with a program that creates MIF files and changing one of
its behaviours - instead of inserting character tags for special characters,
such as <Char Tab>, I want to use the hexadecimal code. According to the
Frame Character_Sets manual, the hex code for a tab (for example) is \x08.
However logic - and every other hex code reference that I've checked - tells
me it's 09, not 08 (logical because the ASCII code for a tab is 9). 08 is
the code for a backspace. Even odder is that the 08 code does seem to work
as a tab with FrameMaker.

Why is this different? And how can I tell which other codes are different
from the standard set, other than checking each one individually?

I'm puzzled about this! Anybody got any answers?

Thanks
Pat

CatBase: The Data Publishing Solution
CatBase Software Ltd.