mailmerge

Graeme R Forbes Graeme.Forbes at Colorado.EDU
Sat May 26 12:47:44 PDT 2007

"I use the mailmerge feature in Word to
import variables such as the date of the report, the name of the product
on which the report is based, the final score that the product achieved
and so on... Is this something that I can do better using Framemaker?"

Mark, FM doesn't come with a mail merge facility, so your choices
are, fake one with the program's other capacities, or find an add-on.

On the Mac, I've heard of people getting the effect of mailmerge
using Publish and Subscribe. No doubt there's a Windows equivalent of
this. But thinking about how you might do it suggests it would be a
huge hassle.

An add-on would be a better way to go, perhaps. But the results of
googling "mail merge for FrameMaker" are not reassuring. Taking
values out of a document belonging to another application and pasting
them into an FM doc in the right place is something that's not hard
to script, tho'. If you don't want to try it yourself there are
people on this list who sell such a service.

What you're talking about seems to be a kind of database publishing.
You could check Adobe's site for this -- I believe there are some
heavyweight apps which do this working with FM. But they might well
be overkill for your needs.

Graeme Forbes