Linking from an HTML page to a destination in a PDF file

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sun May 27 02:20:47 PDT 2007

Mike,

You wrote:

>I have a request to establish links from an HTML document on my company's
>web site to a specific topic within a PDF file produced via FrameMaker. Has
>anyone done this before?

In the HTML link, append '#name' to the pdf file name, #name being the
named destination in the pdf, for example:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/ConvertFMnewlink.pdf#Inspiration

At the PDF stage, the named destinations can be defined in Acrobat;
however, all named destinations will have to be re-defined every time the
PDF is created.

It is better to define the named destinations in FrameMaker using the
newlink hypertext marker.
However, a variable prefix of "Mnn.8.newlink." is added to the named
destination
(see http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#ConsistentNamedDests for more
information).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants