Save EDD As DTD Not Working

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu May 31 09:23:33 PDT 2007

At 11:12 -0500 31/5/07, Lin Surasky wrote:
> > Stick to the base
>> character set, alphanumerics, no spaces, for your element names.
>
>Are hyphens okay? All my element names are alpha only, no spaces, but
>two have hyphens in them...

Not sure: check with the XML spec at the W3C site. It might be your problem.

>I'm also going to try your suggestion of conditionalizing element defs
>for use in the DTD. However, that doesn't ease my mind completely, as my
>FM-generated DTD still had an error in it, even though it was saved from
>a single-element EDD.
>
>The EDD only defines the Structured Application and a single element:
>EDD Version is 7.0
>Structured Application: RetalixRN
>Element (Container): Element
>   General rule: <ANY>
>
>That's it.
>
>The DTD is saved without error, which is a little better than
>what I'm getting with my working EDD, but the DTD is still invalid
>according to FM.
>Here is the text of the resulting DTD:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
><!--DTD for Element. Typically invoked by
>      <!DOCTYPE  Element  SYSTEM
>    "C:\testsrc\docs_group\InSync\ReleaseNotes\RN.dtd">
>-->
>
><!ELEMENT Element    ANY >

Well, what did you expect? This looks to me like a valid DTD, although neither your EDD nor your DTD are exactly exciting.

Here are the first few declarations from an EDD and the corresponsing DTD of mine...

EDD:

Element (Container): Book
Valid as the highest-level element.
General rule:	HalfTitle, FullTitle, (ListofFigures | ListofPrograms | ListofTables | Preface | PartDivider | Chapter | Index)+

Element (Container): HalfTitle
General rule:	HalfTitleBanner
Valid as the highest-level element.
Automatic insertions
Automatically insert child:	HalfTitleBanner

Element (Container): FullTitle
Valid as the highest-level element.
General rule:	Authors, Imprint, AuthorImprint, Credit+, Forematter+
Automatic insertions
Automatically insert child:	Authors

Element (Container): Chapter
General rule:	ChapterNumber, Title, LearningObjectives?, EditorsComment?,   EditorsQuery?, EditorsCommentCleared?, EditorsQueryCleared?, SectionIntroduction?, Section*, Summary?, SectionReview?, SectionProgramming?, SectionReferences?
Valid as the highest-level element.
Attribute list
Name: Id	Unique ID	Optional
Control flags: Read-only
Name: Author	String	Required
Name: Language	Choice	Required
Choices:	English, Norwegian, Swedish, French, German, Danish, Spanish, Italian
Automatic insertions
Automatically insert child:	ChapterNumber
Text format rules
Element paragraph format: Body

DTD:

<!ELEMENT Book       (HalfTitle, FullTitle, (ListofFigures |
                              ListofPrograms | ListofTables | Preface |
                              PartDivider | Chapter | Index)+) >

<!ELEMENT HalfTitle  (HalfTitleBanner) >

<!ELEMENT FullTitle  (Authors, Imprint, AuthorImprint, Credit+,
                              Forematter+) >

<!ELEMENT Chapter    (ChapterNumber, Title, LearningObjectives?,
                              EditorsComment?, EditorsQuery?,
                              EditorsCommentCleared?, EditorsQueryCleared?,
                              SectionIntroduction?, Section*, Summary?,
                              SectionReview?, SectionProgramming?,
                              SectionReferences?) >
<!ATTLIST Chapter    Id        ID        #IMPLIED
                     Author    CDATA     #REQUIRED
                     Language  (English|Norwegian|Swedish|French|German|Danish|Spanish|Italian)  #REQUIRED >

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you have any comments in your EDD, you need to conditionalize these out before generating a DTD.

--
Steve