Framers Digest, Vol 25, Issue 4

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Mon Nov 5 07:48:00 PST 2007

Hi, all; long time no post!

I have an unusual question about PDF generation that I hope this list
can answer.

For a gaming product (role-playing, not computer), we want to be able to
embed ad banners which are refreshed every time the PDF is opened, every
time a page is turned, in the footer of the book. Those refreshes would
pull the banners from a standard ad revolver (like Google Ads), thereby
generating an ad view with a unique IP (per user/reader), thereby
generating ad revenue to pay for the free PDF hosting (with maybe some
left over for the author).

The first idea I had is much more limited: have the PDF distilled by the
server for each download, which would embed whatever ads are queued in
the ad revolver, BUT the ads would then be static and fixed PLUS the ad
request would always be from the server doing the distillation (i.e.
worth less revenue; possibly even none).

The second idea is more "active," but it doesn't solve the sever-only ad
request problem: I thought of having the footer contain an embedded,
URL-referenced image on the server, which is refreshed (server-side)
after each HTTP request, thus changing the ad every page (good) but
which would result in the requests always being made from the same
server (bad to worthless).

In summary: I need a way to embed active, URL-referenced content which
causes an HTTP request for an ad banner FROM the end-user machine IP,
tagged such that it credits the PDF-hosting author (for payment), EVERY
page turn (i.e. every page render in Reader).

Impossible?
David Artman