non-breaking slash - FM sequence?

Kenneth C. Benson kbenson at pegtype.com
Wed Nov 7 18:05:50 PST 2007

Orly Zimmerman wrote:

> I couldn't find it in the help - so if the answer is that there is none
> - how would you prevent "I/O" within a sentence from breaking at the end
> of a line (assuming you cannot control the page width)?

Fred is right; this is usually dealt with by disallowing breaks at
slashes. But you might not want to disallow breaks at slashes,
particularly if your copy has a lot of URLs.

You can also play around with spread to force the line to break
elsewhere. Not a great solution.

For Frame 8 (I don't have it yet) you *might* be able to disallow breaks
at slashes and then selectively re-allow breaks at slashes by following
the slash with a zero width space (U+200B, I don't know how to get one
except by copying it from Character Map). This doesn't work in Frame 7.2
(because 7.2 is not Unicode-aware).

If someone with Frame 8 wants to test this, I'd be interested to know if
it can be done: Just fill a couple lines with letters with no spaces,
type a single space somewhere near the end of the measure, and if it
results in an unhyphenated line break, take it out and paste a zero
width space you copied from Character Map (in Advanced view, Go to
Unicode 200B). If this works (the way I'd like it to), you'll get a line
break the same way you would if you inserted a space, but if you move
text around so that zero width space no longer causes a break, it should
be completely invisible (i.e., take up no space when not allowing the
break).

Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com