Bug: FrameMaker 8 changes dash \= in paragraph numbering of FM 7 MIF

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Nov 16 01:43:48 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:51:43 +0100, "Reng, Dr. Winfried"
<wreng at tycoint.com> wrote:

>I noticed that the dashes which I defined
>in the paragraph numbering to mark the list items are
>exchanged by: 'Äì

Actually the first char is the *baseline* single quote...
What happened is that the en dash, U+2013, was encoded
in UTF-8 (correctly) as bytes E2 80 93, so you see the
corresponding Frame characters...  The trouble, of course,
is that MIF pre-8.0 knows nothing of UTF-8.  It's a bug.