FrameMaker XML inDesign XML imports

David Creamer ideaslists at ideastraining.com
Fri Nov 30 16:52:17 PST 2007

> What we do here is take let's say 100 products which include the
> image, descriptions, and all the corresponding sizes or colors in a
> table, and export from a filemaker database and then import into
> Frame. Frame streams all the information into the template -- all 100
> products -- where we then lay them out in the template. I can then
> take each individual product and apply a straddle here, resize a
> table there, etc. Each product is its own entity within frame.
> If I do the exact same import into InDesign, all 100 products become
> just one large text block and they lose their individuality and thus
> I lose the ability to design each prouct.
> Can that individuality somehow be maintained with ID??? Plugins
> perhaps???

With InDesign, you might want to take a slightly different approach and look
at EmSoftware.com plug-ins: InData and InCatalog. (InCatalog can even
maintain a "live" link to your database.)

David Creamer
I.D.E.A.S. - Results-Oriented Training
http://www.IDEAStraining.com
Adobe Certified Trainer & Expert (since 1995)
Authorized Quark Training Provider (since 1988)
Markzware, Enfocus, FileMaker Certified