Italics dropping out of TOC

William Abernathy william at inch.com
Mon Oct 8 15:15:40 PDT 2007

I assume there is some very important reason for the following behavior.

[Frame 7.2, WinXP, Unstructured]

When I italicize a chapter or section heading using the CTRL-I, the generated
TOC file does not retain the formatting, but maintains the cross-reference all
the way to the end of the line. Hence:

4.1 Heading with /Italic/ Text

renders as:

4.1 Heading with Italic Text.......22

in the TOC, with the whole line linking to the heading on p. 22, but the word
Italic now rendered in roman.

If, on the other hand, I use an Italic (Emphasis) character format, I get the
formatting in the generated TOC, but the link breaks at the tag boundary. The
generated TOC line thus appears as:

4.1 Heading with /Italic/ Text........22

However, the link breaks at the boundary between "with" and "Italic."

It there any way around this? Call me a dreamer, but I really want the
formatting to come through *and* the link not to be broken when I generate a TOC.

Thanks in advance.

--William Abernathy