Can I customize what elements display when linking cross-references?

Natalie Bircher natalieb at backstreetmedia.com
Wed Oct 17 07:04:05 PDT 2007

I am using FM 7.2 (Structured) with Windows XP.

We were given new safety pages to replace the old ones in all of our books.
There is a "mini TOC" at the beginning of the chapter that is very similar
with three exceptions. Therefore, most of the links do not get lost, but I
have to re-link those three.

So when I double-click the link the Cross-Reference box opens. Because this
tag wasn't used before, it doesn't appear in the right-hand list
(Cross-Reference Markers). And the left-hand box (Markers Type) displays
only the Cross Ref element. So I click on the Source Type and select
Paragraphs to display the paragraph elements in the left-hand list that I
can choose from, in this case "SubHead."  Then Frame displays the subheads
in the right-hand box, and I select the one I need.

Is there a faster way to accomplish this? If I could get the Paragraph
Source Type to continue to display, then I could save some steps in
searching. If I select "Elements Listed In Order" left-hand box (Element
Tags) only displays Chapter and Section, it doesn't go to Header, SubHead,
etc.

So the question is Can I get the Paragraph Source type to become the default
somehow? OR Can I change the Elements Listed In Order to include my Header
and SubHead elements? OR is there another way I am not thinking of?

I hope I have given you enough information. If not please ask. Thank you for
your time.

Natalie Bircher

Technical Writer

BackStreet Media