number of characters in a Running H/F variable?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:12:47 PDT 2007

huntleye at gmail.com asked:

> Does anybody know the limit on the number of characters for a Running H/F
> variable? I am guessing 255 or 256 as I think I've encountered it. Also, is
> it purely a display problem or is that the effective lenghth of the
> variable?

There *is* a size limit for explicitly defined user variables (255 characters in
the definition, including any formatting building blocks), but I'm not sure
that the limit applies to reference-based system variables. I just created
a test document, with a 12-line paragraph referenced by the Running H/F
variable, and Frame picked up all of the paragraph's text in the header
(as soon as I made the header frame large enough to display all of it).

I think the only way you might run afoul of the size limit for variables
in the case of system variables is in the *definition* of the variable.
For example, if you have a Running H/F variable that uses the $paratext
building block with a list of a dozen or so paragraph tags, each of
which has a fairly long tag name, you could exceed 255 characters
*in the defintion*. But the length of the referenced content doesn't
seem to matter.

Fred Ridder