radical revamping of techpubs

Chris Borokowski athloi at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 06:53:29 PDT 2007

What makes more sense in my mind is for technical writers to expand
their role to the life-cycle of the product, from conception to
maintenance, by investing in understanding interaction design/interface
design, quality control and user advocacy positions.

--- Ron Miller <ronsmiller at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Technical Writer wrote:
>

> > The trend has been in that direction since the dotcom bust, when a
>
> > number of (formerly) highly paid developers found a comfortable job
>
> > writing help files more appealing than unemployment or stocking the
>
> > shelves at Wal-Mart.
>
> If they have writing skills, then they can make a living as a tech
> writer, and more power to them, but just because they are technical
> certainly doesn't mean they can write.
>

> > While it is easy for technical writers to convince themselves of
> > the value of what they do, the simple truth is that many users lack
>
> > the linguistic and cognitive sophistication to distinguish between
>
> > "good" writing and "mediocre" writing.
>

> I'm sorry, but that's just a gross generalization and there's no way
>
> you could realistically back up the statement.
>

> > Similarly, it is easy for technical writers to believe they are
> > documenting the software, when in fact they are only documenting
> > the interface. The trend in development is to make the interface
> > more intuitive, hence easier to use; if the interface requires
> > extensive documentation about how to use it, it is a failure of
> > design, not of documentation. That follows the way the overwhelming
>
> > majority of users actually interact with software--they start it
> > up, click a few buttons, and generally try to figure out how it
> > works. For a well-designed user interface, that should be enough to
>
> > get started.
>
> Should be, but for the majority of users in the world, it's not that
>
> simple. My experience is that you are making a huge mistake if you
> assume your users have the same level of computer aptitude that you
> and your colleagues have. Of course, it all depends on audience, but
>
> in a typical commercial software program, I believe you have to
> document to the lowest common denominator and that means assuming
> little or no computer skills. If you want proof of this, look not
> further than Office 2007 with its radical interface redesign. In
> theory, that means it should be easier to use, but in practice, you
> have to learn where all the tools are after years of doing it another
>
> way. Without good training and documentation, the average user who
> has been using Word with a menu bar/toolbar metaphor for umpteen
> years is going to have a very rough go trying to find his/her way
> around. Heck, I'm an experienced user and I find it maddening.
>

> > The movement toward Extreme Programming and Agile Development is a
>
> > case in point; documentation is considered a waste of valuable
> > developer time, and only needs to be slapped together in minimalist
>
> > form at the last minute. That is at odds with the "TW perspective"
>
> > of involvement during the entire development process (which is ONLY
>
> > appropriate for Waterfall, because everything else changes).
> >

> I can't speak to this because I don't delve into programming and
> development theory, but I can say that as a tech writer with 20 years

> [...]
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/athloi%40yahoo.com

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development