Radical revamping of techpubs

Ron Miller ronsmiller at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 08:59:35 PDT 2007

I would maintain, that it's impossible to facilitate knowledge
transfer without good style, form and consistency, but I would agree
that without clear writing, it hardly matters how good it looks.

You will never achieve the perfect interface. It's not going to
happen. Your grandmother is still going to be confused by what seems
inherently obvious to you. You can anticipate the needs, aptitude,
learning style and so forth of every user in the customer base. It's
simply an unreachable goal, especially in a sophisticated software
package developed by multiple developers under commercial and time
pressure. Software isn't produced in a vacuum by robots, it's
produced by humans with lots on their plates.

What we can control is that we can  produce documentation that's
clear, concise, well written, well organized, and easy to navigate.

If we as tech writers aim for this goal, then I think we can at least
satisfy a good number of users, help them solve their issues or use
the software, reduce calls to customer support  and help make the
product better.

The other stuff is pie in the sky to me and not likely to happen any
time soon.

Ron

Ron Miller
Freelance Technology Writing Since 1988
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine

email: ronsmiller at ronsmiller.com
blog: http://byronmiller.typepad.com
web: http://www.ronsmiller.com

Winner of the 2006 and 2007 Apex Award for Publication Excellence/
Feature Writing