radical revamping of techpubs

Ron Miller ronsmiller at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 12:03:55 PDT 2007

Your inference suggests that hardware would have stayed expensive
without Microsoft. I don't buy that. In my view, hardware would have
dropped regardless because the price of the components dropped over
time, completely independent from the PC's relationship to Microsoft.
In fact, I would maintain that competition in the OS/Office
productivity space in the 90s would have eventually resulted in
making these items commodities, which would have reduced the overall
cost of ownership dramatically. Proof of this is the number of free
office productivity and operating systems that have developed in
today's more open environment. These products would have developed
sooner had Microsoft not been allowed to artificially control pricing
and the market.

I would agree that there it would have created a more difficult
environment for us as tech writer to produce documentation, but  I
have the feeling it would have worked itself out, just as it has with
browser-based help that works regardless of the operating system in
place.  As for Apple, people continue to buy the product in spite of
its higher price because it isn't a one for one comparison. There is
a quality factor, ease of use and stability that I've yet to see
matched in a PC. And I speak as someone who is relatively recent Mac
owner, but has used PCs since 1985

Ron

Ron Miller
Freelance Technology Writing Since 1988
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine

email: ronsmiller at ronsmiller.com
blog: http://byronmiller.typepad.com
web: http://www.ronsmiller.com

Winner of the 2006 and 2007 Apex Award for Publication Excellence/
Feature Writing