radical revamping of techpubs

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 20:47:12 PDT 2007

john at hedtke.com wrote

> Actually, no, that's not the case, Gillian; Tekwryter's emails
> directly to me have been well-formatted. I think this is more an
> effect of the listserve software doing something unexpected.

Actually, it's a product of Microsoft's latest Windows Live e-mail
client for hotmail subscribers. Replies that go directly to an individual
are sent in HTML format and appear properly. But replies that
are sent to the list are sent as plain text minus all the automatically
inserted line breaks so that they appear as one big, unreadable
block of text filled with angle brackets to indicate where new lines
are supposed to start. It took me a few tries to work out a
process that reproduces the original message properly, and it takes
me a couple of extra minutes to do manual formatting that the
brain-dead e-mail client should do automatically. Really annoying.

But it is true that Tekwryter doesn't bother to work around the
Windows Live shortcomings...

Fred Ridder