Good table design

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffmann at translate.com
Mon Oct 22 17:38:44 PDT 2007

Art,

If you are working on any projects that may be translated into another language, where language expansion may occur, the following are some of the guidelines we share with our customers:

In Tables:
== avoid use of ALL CAPS in table header cells
== avoid "rotated" (e.g. counterclockwise/vertically oriented) text in header rows
== avoid nested, indented lists, even if table cells have been straddled to provide more width
== Use wider cell margins in English (source) which can be reduced for target languages. Example, left/right table cells of 6 pts may be reduced to as little as 2 pts in German and Italian
== avoid source/English tables that "just fit" the depth of the page, if you want to maintain the same page breaks in your target language. If you want to maintain the same page breaks, keep about 30% of the body column free (or white space) below the table.

Hope this helps.

Maxwell Hoffmann
Manager of Consulting & Training Solutions
ENLASO Corporation
T: 805 494 9571 * F: 805 435 1920
E: mhoffmann at translate.com ♦ ENLASO Corporation provides quality enterprise language solutions and exceeds client expectations through continuing research, development, and implementation of effective localization processes and technologies.  Visit: www.translate.com for more information or to subscribe to our complimentary localization newsletter.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/maxwellhoffmann