ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO SCRIPT IN GHOSTSCRIPT

Michael Zaichenko biozaichenko at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:22:18 PDT 2007

Hello Framers,
This might be slightly OT but here is the issue. I'm PDFing my Frame files with Distiller 6.0. Now and then my publisher comes up with font issues - certain fonts come out wrongly like bold comes out as bold ital or small caps comes out as bold small caps, etc. Tracing it back I narrowed it down to fonts having identical XUIDs. Now, I can of course go ahead and remove IDs on all fonts but this would be a tedious task - I have over 5000 fonts library plus this doesn't seem to be the right solution as in couple instances it didn't help either.
My publisher is using Docuprint machines and doesn't have much options of changing fonts there.
I'm trying PDF995 now and it seems like I have more control over the PDF process with a postscript language. I don't know much of Ghostscript at all - it was barely enough to change the compression method for the images, however it should be possible to remove XUIDs at PDFing step but how? I found a piece of a script that does something with XUIDs but this didn't seem to work at all - the PDF just wouldn't get created.

The file I'm editing is called gs_pdfwr.ps - it's part of the pdf995 package.

Please HELP.

Michael

P.S. I tried a lot of things in the attempt to solve it to no avail. Please do not suggest any other handling - I tried them all (sad but true...). I only would like to know how to remove XUID when my file gets created.