Fixing Numbers in PDF Bookmarks

William Abernathy william at inch.com
Wed Oct 31 11:39:31 PDT 2007

Here's an annoyance I'm stumped on. I've been working on updating my group's
template, which is a unification of two work groups' templates.

One group had chapter title paragraph tags that addressed chapter numbering with
  a simple auto-number, after which the writer was required to enter a soft
(linefeed) return to enter the chapter title. The other group had a special
frame on the First master page that contained the chapter number, which would
appear automatically, with writers simply required to enter the chapter title in
the adjacent title line field. I proposed a simple alternative, which eliminated
the first group's required user input and the complexity of the second group's
extra master pages and paragraph tags. This was to use a Chapter title paragraph
tag that had the chapter number, a tab, and the text.

Would that life were so simple.

The group decided that for readability, the chapter/appendix number and the text
should appear on the right margin. FrameMaker does not like line feeds in the
autonumber fields, so I accomplished this by cunning subterkludge: I defined the
Chapter and Appendix paragraph tags as:
"C:<$chapnum>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>[ and 46 spaces ]"

The 46 spaces forced a new line, everything stuck to the right margin, and peace
and love ruled the stars...

Until we output the thing to PDF. [Frame 7.x outputting to PDF 5.0 using
Distiller 7.0 on Windows XP]

The space-forced line feed results in repeated chapter numbers in the PDF
bookmarks. For example:

1 1 Chapter Title
A A Appendix Title

Does anyone know alternatives for:
* Forcing a line feed in a chapter-heading paragraph format?
* Suppressing this bizarre repeated numbering?

Thanks in advance,

--William