Using <$autorange> with <$paranum> in an index

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:05:42 PDT 2007

Hi (expert) Framers,

This is a nice one: a fellow Framers needs to create an index with
references to paranums instead of pagenums. Each paragraph is numbered
(law book). He wants to use <$autorange> but this does not seem to work,
for example:

Page 11 has the following paragraphs:
31. Text text text
32. Text text text
33. Text text text
34. Text text text
35. Text text text

Page 12 has the following paragraphs:
36. Text text text
37. Text text text
38. Text text text
39. Text text text

When he generates the index WITHOUT <$autorange>, he gets this:
markertext 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39

But when he generates the index WITH <$autorange>, he gets this:
markertext 31-36

In other words, autorange just takes the number of the first paragraph
on the next page and forgets about the remaining markers (37 - 39) on
that page (yes, the markers match exactly).  It works if  we put the
remaining paragraphs "top of page", but that is obviously not the idea.

We have tested this in Frame 7.0, 7.2 and 8.0.

The only workaround I can come up with so far, is to remove the
"intermediate" markers (from 32 through 38), but I was wondering if
there aren't any more elegant solutions?

Thanks in advance.

--
Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect