Using FrameScript to change footer text

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:28:32 PDT 2007

One aspect of well-designed templates is that the headers and
footers should be identical (or I should say identically constructed,
meaning built from the same system variables even if those
variables will have different values in different chapters) across
all or most of the files in a book. If that is the case, you only
need to update the master pages in *one* file per book, and
can then import that formatting (identified as Page Layouts in
the Import Formats dialog) into all the other similar files in the
book in a single operation.  The ability to import various types
of formatting from one file into a whole book's worth of files
has always been one of FrameMaker's biggest strengths..

If the headers and footers are constructed differently from
file to file, I think you're going to be stuck doing them manually
because a script will only work properly if it is dealing with
similar constructions.