structured Frame

russ at weststreetconsulting.com russ at weststreetconsulting.com
Tue Sep 11 05:08:25 PDT 2007

Fred,

Good summary. I have one thing to add and one disagreement...

For the average author, the biggest advantage of structured Frame might be simply the superiority of the authoring environment. It is so much easier to navigate, select, cut/paste, move, and format your content when you have a structure tree to work with (things which, as an author, I do A LOT). It takes time to get to know all the little tricks, but once you do, you'll never go back to unstructured Frame.  When I do, I get frustrated by the inefficiencies much the same as going back to working with Word. This holds true whether or not you ever actually save as XML and presents a compelling reason to use structured Frame, no matter what. There is an investment involved, but the payoff in authoring/editing efficiency pays you back over and over again.

My disagreement is the point about the lone writer. I am a lone writer and I depend heavily on structured Frame. Were I to use unstructured Frame, I would simply not be able to get my job done. It's all about how quickly I can get content on the page and how effectively I can use various single-sourcing techniques that make my workload possible.

Russ