Numbering steams and flows

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 05:13:25 PDT 2007

Am working against the clock with a book that is undergoing last-minute design changes on press day, so I have to use up two question tokens today...

I am forced to mix 1-column and 2-column layouts. I cannot use tables, as the existing 1-c material that must go into 2-c already contains tables.

As we know from previous discussions here, the column layout is a flow property rather than a page property, so I must use a B flow for the 2-c material.

My question is, is there any way of preventing numbering streams from restarting when the flow changes within a document? I'm a bit surprised to see that FrameMaker views numbering streams as local to flows rather than global to a document, but this is the case: if numbering is set at book level to restart per-document, it also seems to restart for a new flow within that document.

The workaround is to force the numbering at para tag level, but this is against my principles ;-)

--
Steve