Framers Digest, Vol 23, Issue 13

rradcliffe at invacare.com rradcliffe at invacare.com
Thu Sep 13 07:23:53 PDT 2007

Steve,

Check the Illustrator help under the "Transparency" headings. We do not
use this feature, but glancing through, it looks like the help should
answer your questions about placing one graphic over another.

4.5 MB sounds like a large file size for your background file, Not knowing
your experience with Illustrator and not claiming to be an expert...We
perform the following on most of the graphics we use (Windows XP,
Illustrator CS2, FrameMaker 7.0 and Acrobat Standard 6).

In Illustrator:
If necessary, save a copy of the file and "Flatten Layers" (compressing
everything to one layer), or delete unused layers.
"Select All" to ensure there are no extra points or shapes hanging off to
the side making the graphic larger than it needs to be and delete them.
Apply a cropping mask to get rid of extra background (especially on the
chapter number graphic).
-or-
Open the graphic in acrobat, open the crop pages window, and set the
margins manually or check the "Remove White Margins" box. Click OK and
save the file.

In FM;  Ensure runaround properties to "Don't Run Around"
(Graphics>Runaround Properties)

If I still have problems with a graphic showing correctly (usually if
lines are missing from a graphic)  I will then go back to Illustrator,
open the "Object"menu and ensure "Released"
under "Clipping Mask" and "Compound Path" are NOT selected.

Hope at least some of this helps,

Rob Radcliffe
Technical Writer, Technical Writing Department
Customer Interaction Center
Invacare Corporation
Office: 440-326-3195 Fax: 440-326-3912
rradcliffe at invacare.com