Broken xrefs

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:07:32 PDT 2007

It may be water under the bridge, but if you change the filenames
*within* FrameMaker, in the book window, FrameMaker automatically
updates all the references for you. No broken links. If you make the
changes in Windows (outside of FrameMaker), however, FM doesn't
know that the filenames has changed and all the links break.

In the case of the book name, the main dependency you need to
worry about is the filename of the generated files. FrameMaker
only knows to update generated files that have the same base
filename as the book plus the relevant generated file suffix (e.g.
...TOC, ...LOF, ...IX). If the names of the existing generated files
don't follow the pattern, FrameMaker will generate brand-new,
unformatted generated files rather than updating the existing ones.

Fred Ridder