[SPAM] RE: Autonumber challenge: Table 10.a, Table 10.b and Figure 10.a

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffmann at translate.com
Tue Sep 18 13:03:05 PDT 2007

Hi Fred,

Thank you for refreshing my memory. I knew that there was a solution,
but I have not had to run separate counters in this fashion for several
years. The usual custom is for Tables and Figures to number
sequentially, but not be dependent on sub-chapter numbered headings.

Your advice has saved me hours of scouring the archives.

Maxwell Hoffmann

Figure 10.a

>This is fairly easy. You just need to control separate counter elements
as for each type of number and include placeholders as necessary. The
only thing unusual is making the step number an unseparated compound of
the chapter number system variable (<$chapnum>) plus a zero. I've never
seen this particular convention or style before...

>The first counter is for the step number, so let's use the second one
for the figure numbers and the third counter for the table number. The
numbering format definitions them
>become:
>
>Step = S:Step <$chapnum>0< =0>< =0>:
>Table = F:Figure <$chapnum>0.<a+>< >
>Figure = T:Table <$chapnum>0.< ><a+>
>
>This scheme resets the counters for the table number and figure number
at each occurrence of the step tag. Note that the building blocks have a
space between the opening angle bracket and the equals sign, which is
the character to suppress display of the number element. The space
inside the angle brackets is a placeholer building block which prevents
the Figure tag from affecting the value of the counter for the table
number. The placeholder in the Table tag definition is not functionally
necessary, but is included as a good practice that helps you remember
that this is a 3-element numbering scheme.

>Fred Ridder
>

>mhoffmann at translate.com wrote:
> I have a challenge with autonumbering, and can't recall the solution.
> (Ran into this unusual numbering style some years
> ago.) I am trying to get a complex autonumbering sequence to work in
> unstructured FM7.2 on Windows.
>
> I'm assisting a customer with a template that requires the following
> numbered paragraphs to occur w/in one document:
>
> Step 10: How to rinse the sink
> Step 20: How to dry the sink
> <text>
> Table 20.a