Don't forget Blaze [was "Re: Adobe Unveils Technical Communication Suite"]

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed Sep 26 16:14:19 PDT 2007

   Eric:
   At Wednesday, 26/09/2007, 11:20 PM;, you wrote:

     On 9/25/07, Hedley Finger <[1] hfinger at handholding.com.au> wrote:

          Well, it will be if we ALL start screaming for
          So, everyone get on it:

     [2]http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html
     How about someone re-write all those wishes into a format that will
     cut and paste into the Adobe form?

   Geez, I have been harping on about all this stuff for years, on lists,
   to Dov, on Adobe surveys and what all.
   So can I be excused from going to the less than friendly Adobe page to
   type them all in yet AGAIN?
   Now that Madcap is trumpeting Blaze as the (eventual) FrameMaker
   killer, I bet there is someone at
   Adobe paid to monitor these lists full-time.
   Here's another feature:
   Another feature that should be implemented is automatic
   adjustment of page depth.  Commercial publishers are always
   keen for every page to be full, that is, full-depth.  So even where
   a diagram or whatever SHOULD be in-line for pedagogical
   reasons, they will place it on another page with a figure title or
   whatever and cross-reference it from its natural in-line home.
   When I used to lay out books with full-depth pages, one way to
   get rid of orphans and widows was to make a double-spread
   a line shorter or a line deeper than normal to push the offending
   line forward or pull it back.
   This could be automated, with the proviso that a shallow page
   should never be immediately followed by a deeper page.  Believe
   me, no reader ever notices!  And you can avoid the problem of the
   last two lines of a para being dragged onto the next page, thus
   leaving a double-spread where one side is normal depth and the
   facing page is (apparently) one line shallower because a line
   has been pushed over.
   By the way, whenever writing to any Adobe person or submitting
   suggestions to the Adobe page at <[3]
   http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html>, don't forget to copy
           Sharon Burton
           Product Manager, Blaze
           Madcap Software
            sburton at madcapsoftware.com
           Voice: 858-320-0387 x217
   Regards,
   Hedley

   --
   Hedley Stewart Finger
   28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia