Moving from Frame 7.1 and Webworks to Adobe Technical Communication Suite

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 12:23:26 PDT 2008

I can't answer *all* of your questions, but I know someone who can.  ;-)

ATCS includes RoboHelp, and the current version of RH provides seamless integration from FM source, skipping the RTF step that used to be required. Additionally, you can set the new RH to recognize TopicAlias markers as the context-sensitive links. Although the new RH doesn't import the ePub stationery or WWP templates, it does provide the same type of mapping directly between FM formats and RH formats, so I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal as moving from WWP Pro to ePub would be. However, we don't have a lot of custom macros in our WWP Pro templates, either.

We're migrating from Frame 7.2 w/ WWP Pro 2003 and Acrobat 7.0 Pro to the ATCS. I have been talking with someone at Adobe (an "ATCS Evangelist") about all the in's and out's of moving. The main reason we're moving is that ePublisher is cost-prohibitive to upgrade, and RH now does what ePub (and formerly WWP Pro) did, but the output to Adobe AIR format with the integrated support for interactive animated 3D drawings and video will truly take our deliverables to the next level for our audience. Plus, the $999 for the whole ATCS deal is, well, irresistible...

Rene L. Stephenson