Moving from Frame 7.1 and Webworks to Adobe Technical Communication Suite

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Wed Apr 2 07:48:34 PDT 2008

Hello, I'm new to this list. A colleague forwarded kimwrites' question
about migrating from FM 7.1 / WWP to ACTS.

We're contemplating exactly the same migration, for the same reasons,
and I've been evaluating ATCS with RH 7.0.1 for the past week. Our aim
is to produce a merged context-sensitive CHM file. Overall RH is easy to
use and well-supported by the RH community. However, compared to WWP it
has some limitations. Here are my concerns so far:

- Ordered lists: Our Frame source uses complex autonumbering. RH does
not interpret them successfully into <ol> elements.

- Context-sensitivity: In the RH output, the TOC selection is not
updated to match the topic. (This is because the alias file includes an
anchor.)

- Merged context-sensitivity: As with WWP, this requires post-processing
of the alias files.

- Merged index: If an index entry is linked to more than one topic, so
that a secondary list appears, all the entries in the secondary list
show the original index entry repeatedly instead of the individual topic
titles.

- Graphics support: TIF files from PaintShop Pro screen captures are not
converted successfully in the RH output.

- Drop-down hotspots: These cannot be generated automatically from FM tags.

- Breadcrumbs: These cannot be inserted automatically into the RH HTML
output. (In WWP we could do this using macros. RH does not have a macro
or scripting language.)

- Browse sequences: RH is supposed to be able to generate them
automaticaly from the TOC, but so far it hasn't worked for me. (I have
an open thread about this at the Adobe forum for FrameMaker Integration,
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=65&catid=680&flcache=6886628.)

- Related Topics buttons: These cannot be generated automatically from
FM tags.

- Stability: I have had a dozen crashes during the evaluation, and I
have had to abandon four projects because they could not be revived
after a crash.

I haven't investigated the style control features, DHTML options, or
topic layout controls. These are generic to HTML and I assume RH has
done a good job there.