Upgrade to Frame 8

Jeff Schweiner schween at cray.com
Wed Apr 2 08:48:51 PDT 2008

Hi Joyce,

I've also experienced this "feature" and have come across a repeatable pattern of failure.
Can others try this and report back whether it fails for them also?

I'm experiencing problems with dropped characters in text lines. Also, I've noticed the history doesn't seem to log all changes made to text lines. The problem can be duplicated as follows:

1. Open a new portrait blank document and add an anchored frame. (recorded in history)
2. Add a text line inside the anchored frame from the Tools Palette. In the text line, type "1234" (recorded in history).
3. Save the file. (history cleared)
4. Click the cursor after the "4" in the text line and hit a carriage return to create a new text line. (not recorded in history)
5. In the new text line, type "1234567890"(not recorded in history)
6. Save the file.
7. Refresh the screen (cntl l) and the second text line now reads "12346890" (dropped the 5 and 7). Printing the file in steps 5 and 6 also show the 5 and 7 are missing.
8. Add a new text line inside the anchored frame from the Tools Palette. In the text line, type "12345" (recorded in history).
9. Save the file. (history cleared)
10. Click the cursor after the "5" in the text line from step 8 and hit a carriage return to create a new text line. (not recorded in history)
11. In the new text line, type "1234567890"(not recorded in history)
12. Save the file.
13. Refresh the screen and the second text line now reads "12345790" (dropped the 6 and 8).

I get this to fail every time running the trial version 8.0p273 on two different XP SP2 systems.

Joyce wrote:

All -

I have noticed both the issues reported by John, and have another to
add.

When I use the text tool to add a callout inside an anchored frame - as
I've done for years with previous versions of FrameMaker - the text
changes. That is, random letters disappear. I've seen it happen several
times, even after saving. But if I place the callout inside a text frame
(inside the anchored frame), it's OK.

Has anyone else experienced this "feature"?

Joyce

Jeff Schweiner
Hardware Engineering Writer
Cray Inc.