finding Mif2Go macros to replace WWP functionality

JIm Owens jowens at magma.ca
Mon Apr 14 08:37:30 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy at omsys.com>
To: <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Cc: "Jim Owens" <jowens at magma.ca>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: finding Mif2Go macros to replace WWP functionality

> >We want to make the most of our existing Frame markup for Related Topic
> >buttons and drop-down hotspots. Out of the box, Mif2Go doesn't support
> >the WWP system for drop-down hotspots,
>
> We do have one of our own with the usual large set of options.
> See User's Guide par. 6.9, "Including expandable sections in
> Help topics".  We're not familiar with the WWP method, but if
> you tell us what the markup for it is in Frame, we'll see what
> we can do to support that out of the box.

The WWP method is simple: you select the paragraph where you want to place
the expand/collapse control, and map it to one of two WWP styles:
DropDownClosed (if you want the hotspot closed by default) or DropDownOpen
(if you want the hotspot open by default). "All text and other elements that
follow this paragraph are included in the drop-down content up to the next
paragraph marked DropDownClosed, DropDownOpen, or Heading1-6. You can force
the drop-down content to end earlier" by inserting a marker called
DropDownEnd anywhere in the last paragraph of the drop-down area. However,
our topic design is such that we don't need DropDownEnd markers.

> >and it doesn't support buttons based on a Related Topics list.
> >(ALinks and KLinks are supported.)
>
> I don't quite understand that; "Related Topics" *are* ALinks.
> See par. 8.6.3, "Configuring ALink and KLink jumps for HTML Help".

HTML Help has support for ALinks and KLinks; WWP has support for Related
Topics and "See Also" links (ALinks); and RoboHelp 7 HTML Help has support
for all three, but only if you use the RoboHelp editor to create them (Frame
authoring for these Help features is not supported in RH.) Unlike ALinks and
KLinks, Related Topics don't require any specal markup in the destination
topics. In the source topic, you create a list of standard cross-references
to other topics, one  per paragraph, and then you tag the paragraphs with a
dedicated tag such  "RelatedTopics."  Then you map the dedicated tag one of
two WWP tags: RelatedTopic (if you want the links to be displayed in the
topic body and included in a button-enabled list) or RelatedTopicOnly (if
you want them in a button-enabled list only).

We're using Related Topics for historical reasons, but now that I look at
these options, I'm thinking that ALinks or KLinks muight be a better choice.
This is a subject I'may raise in another thread.  To run with our current
Frame docs, RelatedTopicOnly support is what we'd need.