Printing 8.5x11 and 11x17 in the same book

Baruch Brodersen Baruch.Brodersen at bigbandnet.com
Tue Apr 22 03:19:39 PDT 2008

Megan,

You wrote:

Many of my books have electrical and mechanical drawings interspersed

throughout them that are 11x17. Unfortunately, I can not shrink them to

8.5x11 because the integrity of the document is compromised. I have been

having some problems figuring out how to set up FrameMaker to generate a

post script file with both 8.5x11 pages and 11x17 pages so that I do not

have to make 2 post script files. I am currently running FrameMaker 7.2

on Windows XP.

Is there a way to generate one post script file with two different size

pages in the same book?

*************************

Yes, there is a way to do it.

In Acrobat, create a custom 17x11 page, or whatever your large page size is. In Frame, make all master pages the size of that oversized page.

Place a postscript textbox on each master page you want to trim to 8.5x11 with this code:

[/CropBox [0 0 612 792]

/PAGE pdfmark

Position text blocks to conform to the final trim size.

If you need landscape letter size, use this pdfmark:

[/CropBox [0 0 792 612]

/PAGE pdfmark

Don't use /CropBox on masters you want to be 17x11.

Finally, you might consider designating a paragraph format for your 17x11 pages. That will allow you to use FM's Apply Master Pages function to keep the oversized graphics assigned to the correct master pages.

Baruch Brodersen

Technitext Documentation