how to take an element out of the flow

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Apr 25 11:25:59 PDT 2008

Jakob,
1) To make the box around the <insert> element change size to match the
content, make it a table.

2) You can automatically position the content at the bottom of the page
with a table whose single row has a minimum row height equal to the height
of the containing text frame and setting the vertical alignment to Bottom.
Unfortunately, this approach precludes using table ruling to draw a box
around the content.

3)  Consider using XSLT to move the <isnert> from the end of the document
to the beginning on the way into FrameMaker and back to the end on the way out.

         --Lynne

At 03:50 PM 4/23/2008, Jakob Fix wrote:
>I have a lot of XML files with the same structure which contain among
>other things an element <insert>variable amount of text here</insert>
>which comes as the last element of the document.  Each document
>represents two or four pages of the final document.  The <insert>
>element should appear inside a box on the bottom left corner of the
>first page in the FrameMaker document.  Currently, we have to manually
>move the element in between two paragraphs of the preceding text in
>order to achieve the desired effect.
>
>I am wondering if there wasn't a way to automatically do this when
>importing the XML file?  Such as somehow moving it to a Flow B which
>would be constituted by a rectangle in the bottom left corner of the
>first page.  Or a text inset?  A drawback is that the text inside the
><insert> element is of variable length, so the box would need to be
>able to grow or to shrink.
>
>...I would be really grateful for any pointers on how we could (even
>partially) automate this in some way or the other.  We're using 7.0 at
>the moment, but considering a move to 8.x, probably even earlier if
>the new version were to solve this problem :)

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284